Police: Man caught inhaling solvents behind pickup truck’s wheel

Twelve days after going “unresponsive” in his Montoursville home from inhaling solvents from an aerosol can, 39-year-old Nathan E. Grenoble was once again huffing noxious fumes from a can, but this time it was while he was  behind the wheel of his pickup truck, Montoursville police alleged in court papers.

The incident with his truck occurred about 7 p.m. on Sept. 18 when an off-duty county probation officer was sitting in a vehicle behind Grenoble at the traffic light at Loyalsock Avenue and Clair Road in the borough, police said.

The light went “through a few cycles,” but Grenoble, who did not have a license, was not moving, police said. When the  probation officer got out of his car to see what the problem was, he recognized Grenoble from prior contacts and saw a 12-ounce aerosol can in Grenoble’s right hand, police said.

In order to get the man’s attention, the probation officer had to use a hammer to break a window, police said, adding that the officer then reached inside, put the truck in park and pulled the keys from the ignition.

Grenoble tossed the can to the back seat, police said. After providing a blood sample at the Williamsport Regional Medical Center, he was automatically committed to the Lycoming County Prison on a probation violation.

Police have charged him with driving under the influence of solvents or noxious substances, driving without a license and related offenses. Court records state that this was Grenoble’s fourth arrest for driving under the influence of intoxicants or controlled or noxious substances.

Just after 10 p.m. on Sept. 6, paramedics and police responded to Grenoble’s home at 1113 Franklin St. in the borough when he went “uresponsive” from inhaling fumes from an aerosol can. He was taken to the hospital and later released.

For this incident, Grenoble faces a misdemeanor charge of illegal use of solvents, police said. He since has been arraigned before District Judge Gary A. Whiteman on the two sets of charges and recommitted in lieu of $20,000 bail.