Home invasion double-homcide victims mourned

PHILIP A. HOLMES/Sun-Gazette Emergency responders race shooting victim Kristine Kibler to an ambulance after she was shot Monday night during an apparent home invasion at her house on Poplar Street. The 50-year-old woman was pronounced dead on arrival at the Williamsport Regional Medical Center. The gunman remained at large Tuesday night.

Cheyanna Wright and close family friend Ashley Beamer wept tears of grief Tuesday morning as they hugged one another outside Wright’s home at 613 Poplar St., where Wright’s 50-year-old mother, Kristine Kibler, and her 25-year-old brother, Shane Wright, were shot to death late Monday night by a masked gunman.

Kibler and her son were gunned down in an apparent home invasion that occurred at 9:50 p.m. soon after family members had returned from a night of Halloween fun, according to city police and family members.

There were four adults and three children in the home, including Cheyanna, 21, her boyfriend, Nate Daniel, and her 2-year-old son. None of the children was injured, neither were Cheyanna and Daniel.

“My brother and I, along with a cousin and our kids, had all gone trick-or-treating together. I was just with him (Shane),” Cheyanna said, tears streaming down her face as she held her mother’s Chihuahua, Sassy.

“This was her love. My mother loved this dog. She’s had her since she was a baby,” Cheyanna said as she tried again and again to regain her composure.

Besides Cheyanna’s son, also in the home were Shane Wright’s two children, ages 6 and 7.

“I can’t even fathom why someone would do this. This just broke my heart,” Beamer said, her voice cracking with emotion.

“I can’t even imagine what she’s going through right now,” Beamer said, referring to Cheyanna.

In a written statement, city police Chief David J. Young said “police were following up on multiple leads and are continuing the investigation. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims’ families.”

No information was released on the motive behind the double murder.

“My mom was a very good person. She would help anyone. She would give you her shirt off her back,” Cheyanna said.

“My brother was a down-to-earth person. He loved to draw, and he loved football. Football was one of his favorite sports. The Pittsburgh Steelers was his favorite team,” Cheyanna said.

She and her boyfriend along with her son were in their locked bedroom when the masked gunman entered the house.

“There was a gun suddenly in my face,” Cheyanna said.

“I had heard my mom yell, ‘Oh, my God.’ I opened my bedroom door because I needed to know what was going on. When I looked out, I saw the shooter had my mom like in a hostage hold and had a gun pointed right at me,” the 21-year-old woman said.

The gunman, who was wearing gloves, and her mother were standing near the top of a set of stairs, she said.

Cheyanna was uncertain about the number of gunmen involved.

“They had ski masks on. They didn’t say anything. I only saw one gunman, but I felt there were two, maybe,” the woman said.

“He didn’t say anything to me. He just pointed the gun at my face and I slammed my door shut,” Cheyanna said, adding that her boyfriend called 911 on a cellphone.

She heard gunshots. She soon found her brother’s body in the front doorway.

Wright was pronounced dead at the scene by Lycoming County Coroner Charles E. Kiessling Jr., while his mother was pronounced dead on arrival at the Williamsport Regional Medical Center.

Neighbors said that Monday night was the second time in four days police had been called to the house. Officers responded to there Friday night for a disturbance.

Cheyanna said, “That was a family matter” and she believed it had absolutely nothing to do with the slayings.

She believed the gunman who entered the house and shot her mother and brother was probably looking “for money.”

Beamer said she will remember the two victims “as great people. This is so tragic and devastating. I would have never thought anything like this could have happened to them. They were such good people.”

Beamer went on to say Kibler and her son “had a lot of people who loved them and cared for them. They were very kind-hearted people.”

The killings just made no sense to her.

“Everyone who knew them certainly knew there were kids in the house, nine out of 10 times, kids were always there. For them to come in and do something like this. It’s just so sad. We didn’t lose just one, but we lost two,” Beamer said.

“This was a home invasion. Whoever did this certainly was looking for something, money or anything else of value. Everyone is just in shock,” she said.

To help cope her with her grief, Beamer put two roses at the front door, one for Kibler and another for Wright.

“I did that because they both meant a lot for me. They were both close to me and would do anything for me. It is just a symbol of my love. I cared for them so much and this is how I get to pay my respects,” she said.

Cheyanna and son, along with her brother’s two children, were staying with relatives.

“Where do I go from here? I just have to move on and do the best I can,” she said.

Anyone who has any information about the homicides is asked to call 570-433-3166, Chief Young said.