Breaking News
Police Fire and Court

Alleged dealer charged in June shooting in city

By Philip A. Holmes 3 min read
PHILIP A. HOLMES/Sun-Gazette Steven Curtis Reid, shown here with city police Lt. Brian Womer in June when he was arraigned on drug charges, was charged Tuesday for his alleged involvement in a city shooting on June 10.
PHILIP A. HOLMES/Sun-Gazette Steven Curtis Reid, shown here with city police Lt. Brian Womer in June when he was arraigned on drug charges, was charged Tuesday for his alleged involvement in a city shooting on June 10.

PHILIP A. HOLMES/Sun-Gazette
Steven Curtis Reid, shown here with city police Lt. Brian Womer in June when he was arraigned on drug charges, was charged Tuesday for his alleged involvement in a city shooting on June 10.

An accused marijuana dealer faces new charges stemming from a shooting last month in which he exchanged gunfire with another man in the 1000 block of Park Avenue, injuring one of several juveniles who were nearby, city police Agent Jason Bolt said.

Steven Curtis Reid, 32, allegedly confronted and threatened Scott Bardo outside Bardo's home with a handgun in his right hand about 7:30 p.m. on June 10, Bolt said.

"So I heard you're going to smack me," Reid reportedly told Bardo repeatedly as he walked toward him.

"Bardo yelled for the man to put his gun away several times before he drew his handgun from his holster," Bolt said in an affidavit.

"Several neighbors reported that young juveniles were in close proximity of the two men as the shooting began," Bolt said.

Bardo told police he "fired at the man in self-defense as he was being fired upon," Bolt said.

Bardo has not been charged with any offenses, the agent said Wednesday afternoon.

A 12-year-old boy grazed in his right thigh by a bullet was taken to the UPMC Susquehanna Williamsport Regional Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries and discharged.

The other gunman, later identified as Reid, ran south on Thomas Avenue, Bolt said.

About an hour before the shooting, Bardo "had a verbal confrontation" with several neighborhood juveniles, who Bardo claimed had been "accosting" two members of his family.

A short time later, Reid, claiming to be the father of one of the boys Bardo yelled at, approached Bardo's home, Bolt said, adding that gunfire then was exchanged.

Through their investigation, police obtained a video of the confrontation between the two men. The video was recorded on another person's cellphone, Bolt said.

A witness to the shooting identified Reid as the alleged second gunman after he was shown a "screenshot" from the video, the agent said.

Jailed on drug charges since city police seized 34 grams of marijuana and 5 grams of cocaine from his home at 642 Fifth Ave. on June 15, Reid was arraigned Tuesday before District Judge Christian Frey on a new set of offenses, including aggravated assault, terroristic threats, recklessly endangering and convicted felon not to possess a firearm. He has a previous conviction of attempted homicide.

When police seized the drugs from his home last month, they also took a handgun that was found in the house. Investigators have not yet said if it was the same gun used in the shooting.

Following his arraignment, he was recommitted to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of an additional $100,000 bail.

Starting at /week.