Home improvement store to get lower tax bills
The Lowe’s tax assessment appeal, which was filed earlier this year, was settled for less than wanted, the Montoursville Area School Board said Tuesday.
The board approved the fair market value of Lowe’s, on Loyalsock Avenue, at $4,800,000. It cannot be appealed by either party until 2026.
“We did some significant legal arm wrestling with them, we came out about as good as we were going to,” said David Shimmel, board member.
Although the board could have continued to advocate for themselves, in the end it wouldn’t have been worth the legal fees associated with it, he said.
“It leaves a bad taste in our mouth,” said Shimmel.
Both the borough and county agreed in the final assessment.
Under the superintendent’s report, the board agreed to consider upgrades to the Loyalsock Valley Elementary School during work sessions, following Ronald Snell’s urging.
“(It’s) over 50 years old and has not undergone any significant renovations in the recent past,” he said. “There is a need to address the physical condition of this building in the near future.”
In other business, the board:
• Approved the request from Marty Diaz for the Teachers fitness club to use Lyter Elementary school gym.
• Approved a request from Jennifer Hoffman to use Lyter Elementary library for the Child Evangelism Fellowship.
• Hired Emily Haywood, a special education teacher, for a tenure track with the district.
• Hired Bradley Deacon and Megan Smith as substitute teachers.
• Added “district-wide technology coordinator” to Daniel Taormina’s job description at a stipend of $8,000.
• Approved extracurricular activity advisers, Eric Comini, department specialist for $468; Cindy Wentzler, freshman class advisor for $221; and Morgan Fenstermacher, freshman class advisor, $221.
• Approved the following coaches as volunteers: Ryan Baxter, girl’s tennis; John McKenna, girl’s soccer; Katherine Weber, girl’s cross country; Anthony Frey, boy’s cross country; Brian DeSanto, football; and Madison Shaffer, softball.
• Hired Teresa Shaffer as a junior varsity cheerleading assistant coach for $2,500.
• Approved extracurricular activity advisers Tiffany Steppe and Jennifer Breneisen, middle school student government for $210, and Desirae Mausteller, high school musical and drama director, for $5,340.
• Approved Barbara Eisenhauer as a teacher’s aide
Members Present: Daniel Albert, Robert Logue, Ronald Snell, Susan Beery, Dottie Mathers, David Shimmel, Scott Konkle and William Ruffing. Jennifer Marriott was absent.
The school board’s next meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Oct. 7 in the Montoursville High School, 700 Mulberry St.