Local roundup: Hughesville defeats Williamsport in girls soccer, 3-1
Hughesville ended the regular season with a 3-1 win against Williamsport on Wednesday night. The win gives the Spartans a three-game winning streak heading into the District 4 playoffs as Hughesville is 11-6-1.
Hailey Poust scored the game’s first goal with 38:22 to play before Williamsport’s Sarina Beiter tied it less than a minute later.The Spartans’ Sophia Clark responded with a goal off ana ssist by Poust and Kayleigh Rooker to put the Spartans back ahead, 2-1, just before halftime.
Hughesville’s final goal came from Alexis Kurzawa with 7:03 to play in the game. Defensively, the Spartans limited Williamsport to just two shots on goal.
Raygan Lust scored four goals — including three in the second half — as Warrior Run defeated Lewisburg, 4-2.
Amara Bieber had two assists. Lewisburg’s two goals came from Mikayla Long and Sophie Kilbride.
Muncy blanked Wellsboro, 4-0. Emilie Nagel, Addi Eyer, Caitlin Renson and Sophia Moyer all scored for the Indians as Sara Dgien recorded two saves in the shutout win. Muncy is now 12-5.
Tierney Patterson had 22 saves, but it wasn’t enough as Troy defeated North Penn-Mansfield, 4-0. Addison Parker had a hat trick for Troy.
Sullivan County defeated Montgomery, 7-0, as Chloe Burke scored five goals, reaching 85 for her career. Kaelyn Wettlauffer and Stella Harney each scored a goal as well. Mallory Dickinson was in goal for the shutout.
• In boys soccer, North Penn-Liberty beat Towanda, 5-1. Caiden Alexander had a hat trick and Derek Lietzelman and Zachary Wilcox also scored.
• Muncy beat Southern Columbia, 1-0, as Hallie McClure scored the game’s only goal in girls field hockey. Alaina Brelsford and Brandi Hitesman combined in goal for the shutout.
• Galeton earned a 3-1 win against Northern Potter (25-16, 25-20, 20-25, 25-15). Alli Macensky led the team with 15 kills and added 11 digs, Olivia Rohrbaugh had 11 kills and 15 digs. Johanna Dickerosn had a team-high 19 assists and Lauren Sauley added 17 assists. The win improves Galeton to 14-3.
Mikayla Schott recorded 12 digs to reach 500 for her career and Sauley beat the school record for digs. She surpassed Makenna Shuemaker (647).
• Junior Elizabeth Kelson led the Lycoming College volleyball team with seven kills and two blocks and freshman Ali Koval, a North Penn-Mansfield graduate, added 13 digs, but Lycoming succumbed in three close sets at first-place Stevens Institute of Technology, 25-19, 25-21, 25-21.
• Senior goalkeeper Jess Riordan made eight saves to lead the Lycoming College women’s soccer team as 10th-ranked Misericordia University captured a 2-0 win.
Riordan made several sterling saves for the Warriors (9-4-1 overall, 2-2-1 MAC Freedom).
Lock Haven fell to No. 21 West Chester 4-1. The Bald Eagles got off to a flying start in the opening five minutes, when Eva Stoessel bagged her third goal of the season on an assist from Leah Jensen.
• In men’s soccer, Lock Haven rallied from a 1-0 deficit to defeat West Chester, 3-1.
• The Mid-American Conference announced the preseason rankings for the 2021-22 wrestling season. The preseason weight class individual rankings and team rankings were provided by WrestleStat and they will continue to be updated throughout the upcoming season.
Leading the way for Lock Haven in the rankings was Luke Werner (125 pounds) and Cole Manley (133), who are both ranked No. 2 in their respective weight classes. Ben Barton is ranked No. 5 at 157 pounds.
Last season (2020-21) – in the Bald Eagles only competition – Werner led the way for Lock Haven at the 2021 MAC Championships in late-February with a fifth-place finish.
• Bucknell junior Jackson Bussell earned Patriot League Golfer of the Week honors, two days after he captured his second career individual title.
Hughesville 3, Williamsport 1
H–Hailey Poust (McGinley), 38:22. W–Sarina Beiter, 37:54. H–Sophia Clark (Hailey Poust, Kayleigh Rooker), 1:57. H–Alexis Kurzawa, 7:03.
Shots: H 10, W 2. Corners: H 9, W 0. Saves: H 1 (Lillie Krause), W 7 (Adelia Engel).
Records: Hughesville (11-6-1).
Warrior Run 4, Lewisburg 2
Warrior Run goals: Raygan Lust 4. Warrior Run assists: Amara Bieber 2. Lewisburg goals: Mikayla Long 1, Sophie Kilbride 1. Lewisburg assists: None.
Shots: WR 8, L 8. Corners: WR 1, L 2. Saves: WR 6 (Addy Ohnmeiss), L 4 (McKenna Meadows).
Records: WR (9-7), Lewisburg (6-6-3).
Muncy 4, Wellsboro 0
M–Emilie Nagel (Addi Eyer), 6:52. M–Eyer (Mia Edkin), 20:32. M–Caitlin Renson (Avery Bigelow), 27:08. M–Sophia Moyer, 46:15.
Shots: M 20, W 3. Corners: M 4, W 1. Saves: M 2 (Sarah Dgien), W 12 (Lilli Abadi).
Records: Muncy (12-5, 8-4 Mid-Penn).
Troy 4, North Penn-Mansfield 0
Troy goals: Addison Parker 3, Carolyn Pine 1.
NOTES: Tierney Patterson had 22 saves for NPM.
North Penn-Liberty 5, Towanda 1
NPL–Caiden Alexander (n/a), 37:17. NPL–Alexander (n/a), 32:25. NPL–Derek Lietzelman (Alexander), 25:54. T–(n/a). 16:08. NPL–Alexander, 13:42. NPL–Zachary Wilcox, 0:53.
Shots: NPL 7, T 16. Corners: NPL 4, T 4. Saves: NPL 8, T 7.