Trending
Founded in 1852, St. Mark's Lutheran Church, 142 Market St., Williamsport, is celebrating the 60th anniversary of the dedication of its current sanctuary located at the foot of the Market Street bridge.
It is only the congregation's third church building in its 168 year history.
A procession of the congregation from its former nave (in use since 1896) to the current building took place Sunday, Feb. 28, 1960.
Members were led by the Rev. Frederick G. Hasskarl, senior pastor; the Rev. Paul F. Bosch, assistant pastor; and the Rev. Dr. J. Ray Houser, president of Waterloo Seminary and former pastor.
Also participating in the procession were Trustees of the Church Council, the choirs and the congregation.
Frederick A. Snell, organist and choir director, composed an anthem entitled "Praise the Lord" for the Service of Dedication. The Rev. A. Howard Weeg, president of the Illinois Synod, presented the sermon.
The Holy Bible, the Sacramental Vessels and the Altar Book were carried by Trustees of the Council Charles A. Schreyer, Louis Welker, Harry J. W. Kiessling, William C. Roos and Chester M. Best.
Frank Kelley, trustee, served as chairman of the Building Committee. The architectural firm of T. Norman Mansell, Philadelphia, designed the new church.
St. Mark's was founded in 1852 as the first English-speaking Lutheran church in Williamsport.
The Holy Eucharist is celebrated on Saturdays at 4 p.m. and on Sundays at 8 and 10:30 a.m.
Sunday church school for all ages is held at 9:15 a.m. The Rev. Brian D. Vasey serves as the current pastor.