St. Mark’s Lutheran Church parish house celebrates 80 years
St. Mark’s Lutheran Church parish house is celebrating 80 years of service. Dedicated in 1940, the parish house was called “one of the best equipped and up-to-date parish and educational houses. The structure includes a large fellowship hall, several offices and lounges, and a library. Through the years, it has hosted numerous community groups, including Boy Scouts, Family Promise and others. Previously, it included the “chapel of the upper room,” pictured here in 1950, where Sunday School children gathered for devotions led by the Rev. Dr. J. Ray Houser, pastor, and the Rev. Robert F. Neumeyer, assistant pastor. St. Mark’s was founded in 1852 as the first English-speaking Lutheran church in Williamsport, and is located at the foot of the Market Street bridge.