Watsontown Alliance Church celebrates its 75th anniversary
Our church started as a burden for Watsontown in the heart of John Phillips of Williamsport. We met in the home of Rev.
Alfred Young, where prayer meetings were held asking God’s direction concerning starting a church. A small church was built in Goosetown in 1944-45 by Mr. George Zettlemoyer Sr. and Sons, George Jr. and Williams. Later, an addition of Sunday School rooms was built by Raymond Coup Jr. Services began in 1945.
The new church joined the Christian & Missionary Alliance under Rev. Paul K. Schuler’s ministry in 1947. Subsequent Pastors to follow were Pastor James Stahl, Pastor Robert Reese, Pastor Bruce Stutzman, Pastor Don Reitz, Pastor Ron Mayers, Pastor Don Jones and our current Pastor, Pastor Scott Bartholomew.
A new church building on the 8th Street Drive was built during Rev. Bruce Stutzman’s ministry with the builder, Raymond Coup Jr. It was dedicated on May 31, 1970. This building was expanded to include our present sanctuary.
and rededicated June 8, 1975.
The Alliance Activity Center was built by Milan Knopp and it was dedicated June 1, 1986. During the early 1970s, the Watsontown Christian Academy became a welcome addition to our church. A number of our students went on to serve in a variety of capacities in full-time ministry.
During this time, we also added a Child Daycare Center. Although both programs closed in 2014, the church was greatly blessed during their operation. Currently, WAC has a women’s program, namely JAM (Just Among Moms) that we sponsor. This group ministers to mothers with newborns up to college age.
The mothers meet twice a month to share their roles as mothers and the challenges they face. In addition, we have an AWANA program for children ages 3 through 6th grade, Alliance Youth Program for youth 6th through 12th grade, Alliance Women and Alliance Men programs.
We praise God for His blessings over the last 75 years, and we look forward to His continued blessings until His return.