Muncy schools approve safety plan changes
MUNCY — The Muncy School Board approved changes to the district’s Health and Safety Plan to establish when the students could end up in remote learning based on the number of confirmed or presumed positive cases of COVID-19.
According to the changes, decisions would be made based on building-specific metrics. If three people within a building test positive for the virus, it would trigger going to a five- to seven-day break, according to Dr. Craig Skaluba, district superintendent.
If contract tracing, performed in light of those positive cases, leads to further positives, the break could be extended.
“(If) that would push us up over the five threshold … that would cause it to go from a five- to seven-day to a 14 (day break),” Skaluba said.
If, when the students are out of school, other cases occur that are not impacting the school, they would not be added to the caseload, he said.
“But, you could have a couple other cases the first day we’re closed, then you’d have a couple other cases we’d have to go back and contact trace, and then they could possibly push the threshold up,” he added.
Skaluba also said that he was against an early dismissal if a threshold is reached during the school day.
He reasoned that the teachers needed time to gather materials for the students to take home, as well as the fact that contact tracing would be in progress.
In other business the board approved the following proposals and contracts:
• Williamsport Chamber of Commerce, membership dues, $275.
• Fitness Headquarters, leg extension/curl machine/cable machine attachments, $6,030.
• Four contracts with Firefly for 200 HP touchscreen Chromebooks, $72,780; 300 HP Chromebooks, $86,370; 25 Lenovo Chromebooks, $10,322; 15 HP laptops, $11,685.
• Memorandum of understanding with Smile Pennsylvania, mobile dentists.
• BLaST IU 17 IDEA pass through funds agreement, $348.
• Long-term substitute supplemental hourly rate agreement/pay rate with ESS, $20 per hour and bill rate, $26.78 an hour as needed.
• PIMS consultant agreement/pay rate with ESS, $21.63 an hour pay rate and $28.96 bill rate an hour as needed.
Under personnel, the board approved Jessica Kerstetter as a substitute hallway monitor and Kristina Eck as a cafeteria worker at $10 per hour.
They also approved several volunteer coaching appointments for winter sports.
The next meeting will be for reorganization at 7 p.m. Dec. 7.
The next regular board meeting will be at 7 p.m. Dec. 14.
Board members present were: Carla Auten, Joseph Earnest, David Edkin, David Frederick, Steven Hill, Scott Johnson, Lisa Sleboda, Kim Walker and Sarah Woodward.