Trending
Friday, July 4, 2025, marked the end of a week that saw the demolition of the old Keystone building at Riverside Drive & Maynard Street. All that was left standing of that old building was the southwest corner post. Many of us recall that obstacle when passing through the corner entrance to 1928 Riverside Dr. The 107-year-old structure was a major source for memories to generations of South Siders. Beyond our recollection of the corner, is a good bit of the past.
Before the Keystone building we were familiar with, a large wood-frame building stood. Constructed in 1884, it was the local grocery/mercantile business owned by Appleton R. Jackson. Mr. Jackson was also very involved in real estate before South Williamsport incorporated. His bio can be found on page 935 the History of Lycoming County.
A serious fire on the corner and Mr Jackson's passing soon after, ended the store in 1904. In 1916, Valentine C. Luppert bought the corner from Jackson's heirs. Mr. Luppert redeveloped the corner in 1917, constructing the 3 story brick that stood till until July 2025. The Luppert family named their business interests Keystone, so the new building carried on that tradition. The apartments above were soon occupied and remained so until about a dozen years ago. The 1st to occupy the large storeroom was the Red Cross. Through Mr. Luppert's generosity, he lent them the space for a bandage product station for the World War 1 effort. He later made room for the Red Cross at 1700 Riverside Dr., then opened the Keystone Market early in 1918
Through the 20s & 30s, a confectioner, a barber shop, an ice cream producer, and an A & P store operated within the building. Before the close of the 1930s, Mr Luppert would give up interest in the building. The Keystone name had stuck, although others owned and operated businesses within the structure. W. H. Scheneck operated a confectioner's from 1936 to 1944. Through the 1940s, Post Office Sub Station No. 5 was stationed there. In 1945, Kenny Mahaffey took over the storeroom at 1928 Riverside and managed it until 1965. The memory of Mr. Mahaffey and Mr. Johns remain in some citizens yet today. Al Johns operated a barber shop in the Keystone building from 1939 to 1966. He later moved down the street and continued business.
The building continued to be a cornerstone within the borough. About 1967, the Southside Sub Shop began and operated until 1971. After that was the Royale Subs & Sweets. Then in 1974 & 75 E & E Sub Shop then Summer's Subs & Amusement in 1976. Following those, the building supported a hair stylist, a sign shop, and a law office. Today's generation saw the building in need of demolition, but to a generation before it was a hub for us and for our parents and grandparents.
MICHAEL LOUDENSLAGER
South Williamsport
Submitted by email