Local roundup: Loyalsock softball cruises past Southern Columbia in three innings
Allyia Kennedy went 4 for 4, Mallory Rodarmel homered and Loyalsock scored 12 first-inning runs as it pounded Southern Columbia, 21-3, in three innings in its softball season opener at Short Park. Kennedy and Grace Shaible each hit triples and Shaible had three RBIs.
Rodarmel had four RBIs and three runs while Hannah Winter went 2 for 3 with three RBIs and three runs.
Ohio regional champion Carlisle defeated South Williamsport, 6-1, in the Mounties final game at Myrtle Beach. South concluded its tournament against outstanding teams from the Great Lakes and Mid-Atlantic region 3-2. Claire Alexander, Sage Lorson, Lily Reidy and Gianna Godfrey all had hits for South.
Muncy defeated St. John Neumann, 15-0, in just three innings. Nolah Moyer and Izzy Gush combined in the three-inning no-hitter in which Gush struck out five. Casey Fry went 2 for 2 with an RBI and two runs scored.
• Dylan Farnsworth and Carter Cowburn produced big hitting days as Hughesville pulled away from Milton late and won, 9-6. Farnsworth went 3 for 4 with a triple, double and two RBIs. Cowburn was 3 for 3 with a double and two RBIs and Hughesville scored five runs in the fifth and sixth innings after Milton had tied it 4-4. Cowburn also struck out eight in 4 1/3 innings. Austin Gray earned the win in relief, striking out four in 2 2/3 innings as the Spartans improved to 3-0.
• The Lock Haven University baseball team dropped a single nine-inning game to Shippensburg, 22-2, in a PSAC Eastern Division match-up. The Raiders got things going in the second inning with four runs and never looked back. Shippensburg racked up a total of 21 hits and 22 runs including a six-run fifth inning.
Lock Haven’s offense saw Garrett Nepert notch two of the 11 Bald Eagles hits and he also drove in a run in the ninth inning on a single to right field. Nepert finished the day 2-4 at the plate and he also scored a run.
Justin Lichtenwalner drove in the other Bald Eagle run in the third inning with an RBI-single to drive home Nepert.
Zach Kaatz also recorded two hits for Lock Haven on a 2-4 day at the plate.
• Harrison Gold came from a set down to win the match-clincher at No. 1 singles, sending the Bucknell men’s tennis team to a 5-2 victory over Colgate.
The Bison leveled their Patriot League record at 1-1 and started a two-match weekend on a high note. Colgate claimed the doubles point to take the early lead but Bucknell stormed back to win five of the six singles tilts.
Gold was a double-winner on Friday, as he teamed with Nick Mueller for a 6-3 victory at No. 1 doubles. He then dropped the first set 6-3 to Jack Selati at first singles but won the next two 6-3, 6-3. That gave Bucknell the decisive fourth point, as Nicolas Grunig (6), Michael Owen (3), and Tim Zelikovsky (4) all won in straight sets.
HIGH SCHOOL SOFTBALL
Loyalsock 21, Southern Columbia 3
Southern 030–3 5 1
Loyalsock (12)9x–21 13 0
Konyar, Wattman and Brent. Marissa Helmrich, Hannah Winter and Grace Shaible. W: Helmrich. L: Konyar.
Top Southern hitters: Brent 2-2, RBI; Purnell 1-2, RBI. Top Loyalsock hitters: Allyia Kennedy 4-4, 3B, 4 runs; Winter 2-3, 3 RBIs, 3 runs; Mallory Rodarmel 2-2, HR, 4 RBIs, 3 runs; Shaible 1-1, 3B, 2 BB, 3 RBIs.
Records: Loyalsock (1-0, 1-0 HAC-II).
Carlisle, Ohio 6, South Williamsport 1
Carlisle 102 021 0–6 13 3
South 000 100 0–1 4 4
Bank and Chalertin. Aleigha Rieppel, Alizabeth Schuler (5) and Olivia Beck. W: Bank. L: Rieppel.
Top South hitters: Claire Alexander 1-2; Sage Lorson 1-3; Lily Reidy 1-3; Gianna Godfrey 1-2.
Records: South (3-2).
HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL
Hughesville 9, Milton 6
Milton 000 220 2–6 7 1
Hughesville 400 023 x–9 9 4
Goodwin, Baker (4), Keister and Keiser. Carter Cowburn, Austin Gray (5) and Tyler Wetzel. W: Gray (1-0). L: Baker.
Top Milton hitters: Austin Gainer 2-4, 2 runs; Gehrig Baker 1-3, 2B, run; Dylan Reif 1-4, 2B, 2 runs. Top Hughesville hitters: Cowburn 3-3, 2B, 2 RBIs, run; Dylan Farnsworth 3-4, 3B, 2B, 2 RBIs, 3 runs; Brandon Derrick 1-2, 2 RBIs; Gage Thomas 1-3, 2 runs.
Records: Hughesville (3-0), Milton (0-1).
Shippensburg 22, Lock Haven 2
LHU 001 000 010 — 2 11 2
Shippensburg 041 463 40x — 22 21 0
David Keller, Ryan Terrizzi (5), Kohen Stover (6), Rylan Bailey (8) and Jake Mastillo. Nick Zegna, Cameron Goble (8), Brock Piper (9) and Andrew Chronister. W: Zegna (4-3). L: Keller (3-5).
Top LHU hitters: Zach Kaatz 2-4; Garrett Nephert 2-4, RBI, run; Camden Moors, 2B. Top Shippensburg hitters: Justin Darden 3-4, 2B, 2 HRs, 6 RBIs, 5 runs; Ben Werkheiser 2-6, 2 HRs, 6 RBIs, 2 runs; Andrew Chronister 3-4, 2B, 2 runs; JuJu Cason 2-5, 3 RBIs; Lake Lloyd 2-5, RBI, 2 runs; Justin Byler 2-4, 2B, RBI, 2 runs.
Bucknell 5, Colgate 2
1. Harrison Gold (B) def. Jack Selati, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3; 2. Rohan Gupta (C) def. Nick Mueller, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-1); 3. Michael Owen (B) def. Mike Thomas, 6-1, 6-4; 4. Tim Zelikovsky (B) def. Benito Vlassis, 6-3, 6-4; 5. Ink Chen (B) def. Nate Romig, 7-5, 4-6, 10-5; 3. Nicholas Grunig (B) def. Nick Potter, 6-3, 6-2.
1. Harrison Gold/Nick Mueller (B) def. Jack Selati/Nate Romig, 6-3; 2. Nick Potter/Rohan Gupta (C) def. Michael Owne/Tim Zelikovsky, 6-1; 3. Tejas Gupta/Benito Vlassis (C) def. INk Chen/NIcholas Grunig, 6-3.