×

Dryer fire at Lycoming College sends one to hospital

PHIL HOLMES/Sun-Gazette

City firefighters responded to the Lamade Gymnasium at Lycoming College on Mulberry Street when a clothes dryer caught fire in the basement about 1 p.m. Tuesday. While most of the fire was extinguished when they arrived on the scene, firefighters were faced with a heavy smoke condition in the basement.

Exhaust fans were used for about 30 minutes to clear smoke from the area.

The fire was confined to the burning dryer. However, firefighters checked the vents on the building’s roof to make sure there was no extension, officials said.

A college employee who was credited with putting out the fire with a portable extinguisher suffered smoke inhalation and was taken by ambulance to UPMC to be treated, fire officials said.

About 40 minutes after this incident, Loyalsock Township volunteer firefighters rushed to the Lycoming County Prison’s pre-release center on County Farm Road to investigate a report of heavy smoke in the building.

PHIL HOLMES/Sun-Gazette

Fire officials said the problem appeared to be with the building’s heating ventilation system because the smoke quickly dissipated, and no actual fire was found.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *
   

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today