Man on weed charged after crash demolished woman’s car

ANTES FORT — When police arrived on the scene of a violent two-vehicle crash on Route 44 just days before Christmas, they found 57-year-old Kimberly Shemory trapped in her Mercury Sable.

The woman’s car, crushed by a large pickup truck whose driver had literally driven on top of it, was “almost unrecognizable,” Patrolman Justin Sequra, a member of the Tiadaghton Valley Regional Police Department, wrote in an affidavit.

Shemory was “sitting in the driver’s seat, but her upper body was leaning over behind the front passenger. She told me she was feeling pain and couldn’t move,” Sequra said describing the situation he faced when he arrived on the scene.

After spending several days in an intensive care unit, Shemory, who lives near the crash scene, could finally breathe on her own and was taken off life support at the end of December, the officer said.

Police now say that blood tests revealed that the driver of the truck, Anthony R. Potter, 26, allegedly was driving under the influence of marijuana when his Ford Super Duty truck crashed into the back of Shemory’s car at about 7 p.m. Dec. 16.

Shemory, heading south on Route 44, was stopped, waiting for traffic to clear before turning onto Front Street, when she was hit from behind, Sequra said, adding Potter’s truck drove right onto the car.

Potter already had started walking away from the scene when Sequra and another officer arrived, but two witnesses pointed him out and told police he had climbed out of the truck.

The officers caught up with Potter and ordered him to stop, but he refused, police said.

“When I grabbed Potter’s jacket, he turned around and attempted to strike me with his fist,” Sequra said. The second officer deployed his Taser gun on Potter, causing him to fall and become compliant.

“I want to go home, take me home,” he said repeatedly.

After volunteer firefighters extricated Shemory from the wreckage, she was rushed to Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, where she was admitted with multiple injuries, including a broken spine, fractures in her lower back and pelvis, a shattered shoulder and lung damage, Sequra said. She has since been discharged.

Potter was briefly handcuffed, but they were removed so paramedics could treat him for any crash injuries. He was taken by ambulance to the UPMC Susquahanna Williamsport Regional Medical Center for a possible concussion.

Potter’s girlfriend, Britnee Maines, among other friends of Potter’s, came to the crash scene.

Maines told police that Potter “was acting weird all day and didn’t seem like his normal self.”

Police said that Potter, of 1298 Pine Woods Road, Jersey Shore, told Maines that “their home was possessed and that he was not coming back.”

The crash was captured on a video, Sequra said, adding that upon reviewing the video, it appeared that “Potter never touched his brakes until he made contact with Shemory’s vehicle.”

Debris from the impact struck a third vehicle, causing at least $5,000 damage.

Sequra said that after police obtained a search warrant for Potter’s medical records, investigators determined that Potter, formerly of the 300 block of Davidson Road, Jersey Shore, had marijuana in his system at the time of the crash.

Charged with aggravated assault by a vehicle while driving under the influence, driving under the influence of a controlled substance, careless driving and reckless driving, Potter was arraigned before District Judge Jerry C. Lepley.

“I’m sorry. I hope it all works out,” he told the judge, before he was released on $50,000 bail.