Muncy Township supervisor again refuses to sign Bass Pro Shop plans — judge holds her in contempt
DAVE KENNEDY/Sun-Gazette Muncy Township Supervisors Terri Lauchle, left, and Denise Artley, right, exit the Lycoming County Courthouse on Thursday afternoon.
In a move that should surprise no one who has been following the drama at the Muncy Township board meetings, Supervisor Terri Lauchle, board chair, refused an order by President Judge Eric R. Linhardt to sign documents related to a land consolidation plan submitted by FAMvest for the future Bass Pro site.
The judge then held Lauchle in contempt and ordered her to pay $500 per day of her own money until she agrees to sign the document. Vice-chair Denise Artley did sign the plans.
The third supervisor, Heath Ohnmeiss, who was at the hearing, is not required to sign the document.
The proposed plan seeks to combine a parcel of land where the former Best Buy was located at what was once the Lycoming Mall, now the District, with an adjacent parcel in order to accommodate the Bass Pro store and parking area.
Reading from a prepared statement during Thursday’s hearing, Lauchle filtered through her often repeated reasons for not signing the documents, all of which have been deemed incorrect in previous court proceedings.
“Your understanding is mistaken,” said Linhardt, who gave her three different opportunities during the hearing to sign the documents before holding her in contempt.
Linhardt told Lauchle that it appeared to him that she was confusing lot consolidation with land development plans.
He pointed out that the first step is the consolidation of the two lots which was approved by the prior board in December with conditions. The conditions have been met, he said.
Lauchle also argued that there was a state Sunshine Act violation when the plans were approved.
Linhardt noted that violation would have to have been raised within 30 days of it occurring, something that did not happen.
This is not the first time that Lauchle has been ordered to sign the plans. In two previous court appearances the judge ordered Lauchle to sign.
In late April Linhardt denied a motion by the township and the supervisors for a stay of a preliminary injunction issued earlier in the month.
At that time, the judge had ordered the documents to be signed.
Following this most recent hearing, Nicholas Pennington, attorney for FAMvest said that they hoped that Lauchle will “heed the words of the court very quickly.”
“We’re going to look at our options to move forward as fast as we can,” Pennington said.
When asked what those options were, he replied, “We’re going to evaluate that.”
Jason Fink, president and CEO of the Williamsport-Lycoming Chamber of Commerce was also at the hearing and expressed that they were hopeful that Luachle would sign the documents.
“It’s up to Terri if she wants to continue to pay fines,” he said.
Although some people are concerned that with the delays in signing the documents, which in turn delays the steps necessary to begin construction at the site, that Bass Pro would back out of the project.
“Bass Pro is still very committed to this,” Fink said.
“They’re very supportive of the developers and want to be here. They’ve communicated that even as late as yesterday,” he added.
At the beginning of the hearing, Linhardt granted a motion by Joseph Orso III to withdraw as counsel for the township. Orso had cited an irretrievable breakdown in client/attorney relations.
Although Lauchle objected to his withdrawal, the judge said it appeared that Lauchle was not listening to Orso or taking his advice and he could no longer advocate in the township’s interests.
Orso will be required to file a Statement of Matters related to the Appellate Court filing the township has initiated, but that another counsel will need to be obtained.




