Trending
(EDITOR'S NOTE: Today the Sun-Gazette offers the next installment in a weekly history series that tells the stories of those who came before us.)
By 1892, there were 15 school buildings in the Williamsport Area School District, "all brick, many of them costly and all equipped with the latest improvements for the comfort and health of the pupils," wrote John F. Meginness in the "History of Lycoming County Pennsylvania."
Just over 30 years earlier in 1856, construction began on the first Benjamin Franklin School, also known as Franklin School, on Mulberry Street. The building was completed two years later and the first classes were held in January of 1859.
According to "Williamsport Schools Through the Years," a publication compiled by Williamsport Education Association in 1958, A. B. Putnam and Conley Plotts were among the first to teach in the new school building.
"At that time, the male teacher earned $81.83 a month and the less fortunate females earned only $45.54 a month," the historical publication said.
The Franklin School was three stories high, with four classes on the first floor and two classes on each of the second and third floors.
Because there was no high school in the district, by 1861, algebra and other subjects were added to the curriculum.
In 1863, during the tenure of Wesley Miles as principal, a savings bank system was in operation at the school, the publication stated.
"Any pupil could deposit from a penny up with his teacher who then placed it to his credit in a national bank. When the pupil had deposited the amount of two dollars, he received a bank book and three percent interest," according to the historical account.
In 1871, the building was remodeled to combine classes on the second and third floors.
Overcrowding was a problem with 50 to 60 pupils on the first floor and 150 to 200 on the second and third floors at that time. To alleviate the crowding, Jefferson School was enlarged and a new building, Penn School, was built in the city.
Professor Samuel Transeau became superintendent in 1875 and opened his office at Franklin School. Prior to that, according to the account, the superintendent had no office. The designated room remained at Franklin for 17 more years.
One problem experienced at that time at Franklin School was caused by the older boys serving as firemen in the city.
"Before the days of the paid fire department, the No. 1 engine house bell meant trouble for teachers at Franklin School," the historical account related.
"All the older boys in the building were firemen and one tap of that bell meant uproar and all who could, dashed away," the writer of the account noted.
By November of 1902, the Williamsport School Board proposed the issuance of coupon bonds, not less than $100 each, to finance the construction of a new Franklin School on the site of the original building. The cost of the building was reported to not exceed $27,000 -- a value of about $828,633 today, according to an online inflation calculator.
A month later, the board decided that they wanted to find "a more desirable way to raise the money," and any action on the proposed construction was put on hold.
Then in May, 1903, according to the historical publication, the contract for the new building was awarded at a cost of $34,311.75 less $500 bid for the old structure. Construction on the new building was expected to be completed by January of 1904.
"June 12, 1903, saw the beginning of the demolition of one of the four oldest educational landmarks of Williamsport and of the oldest public school building in service," the historical account stated.
"More than 6,000 of Williamsport's young people had at one time attended the old Franklin building," it continued. "Although the new building was a definite need, many people of Williamsport who had studied within its walls were sorry to the the old building go."
When construction was completed in 1904, the Franklin building included nine grades. The curriculum included such things as manual training and sewing until the Curtin building was built in 1918. At that time Franklin became an elementary school with just six grades.
The first mural paintings in the Williamsport public schools were installed in the grammar room at Franklin in 1914, the historical writer reported.
The painting was commissioned by the PTA at Franklin. The artist, Wesley Little, of Picture Rocks, painted a mural of a Susquehanna River scene.
In September, 1944, during World War II, Franklin School was presented with a banner for collecting the most tin cans for the war effort.
In 1958, the historical account stated, "There is little change in the Franklin building itself since its construction. It now contains eight classrooms, an assembly room and a well-equipped art room. The building now houses six grades, eight teachers and the principal, John L. Earner, who commenced his duties at Franklin School in 1947."
According to the Williamsport Area School District, Franklin School closed at the end of the 1980-81 school year.